Removing Rust or Starting from Scratch
- Sand with 500 grit and scuff until you have removed everything (paint/rust)
- The primer is thick enough to fill in the harsh lines left behind
- Primed Surface: Wet sand with 500 grit or 1,500 grit to get rid of any imperfections so the base coat will apply evenly. If you use a 500 grit you will need to finish with a 1,500 grit so the lines will not be noticeable through the base coats. Once you are done wet sanding you want to make sure polishing compound is used.
- Note: If you sand through the primer you will need to reprime and repeat the process so sand cautiously. Use a tack cloth to remove the particles left behind.
- Sanding the Base/ Mid: This is not necessary unless you have runs, splatter, or uneven coats. You may dry sand with 1,500 but keep in mind you will need to reapply another coat afterward.
- When removing imperfections you want to make sure you give the paint 1 to 2 days to cure before any wet sanding is performed.
* If your paint is waterborne water will act as a solvent and dissolve the paint.*
Smoothing Out Jagged Edges:
- Start off with 500 grit to remove the roughness, then finish off with 1,500 grit sandpaper for a smooth finish, the paint will then blend much better.
- Waterborne Paint: Wet sand with 500 - 1,500 grit, water acts as a solvent and will eat through the paint
- Urethane Paint (Includes Clear Coat & Primer): Dry sand with 500 grit, then finish with a 1,500 grit so the lines will not be noticeable when the next coats are applied
Evening Out Protruding Paint:
- Waterborne Paint: Dry sand with 1,500 grit lightly, too much pressure can eat through the paint. (Tip: if the paint is too thick you may thin it out with distilled water, be cautious not to over thin the paint)
- Urethane: Wet sand with 800- 1,500 grit
- Clear-Coat: Wet sand with 1,500 - 2,000 grit (Wait at least 24 hours so the clear coat cures before sanding)
- Our small pack of sandpaper is sold in a pack of 6 (3" x 2 1/4" sheets)- x2 500grit, x2 1500grit, and x2 2000 grit.
- Our large pack of sandpaper is sold in a pack of 6 (4 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ sheets) – x2 500 grit, x2 1500 grit, and x2 2000 grit.
Our sandpaper grits can be used dry or wet as well!